A three-year-old boy has been rescued from a filthy home after spending three days alone without food in an apartment infested with cockroaches.
The child was left on his own by his mum, named as Natalia, who went away with friends in Odessa, southern Ukraine, reports said.
There was no food in the house so the little boy reportedly resorted to eating sugar – the only thing he could find.
A neighbour claimed he even started eating the packaging when the sugar ran out.
He was allegedly found naked and hiding under his bed.
The toddler was found last Thursday after he opened a tap trying to get some water and flooded the neighbours downstairs.
A woman whose apartment suffered the damage said to local media: ”I saw water pouring down my walls and ran upstairs trying to find Natalia.
”When I realised [the toddler] was home alone, I called emergency services.”
A crew of rescuers cut a hole in the metal front door so they could enter the apartment and save the child.
A man, living next door told: ”The boy was found hiding under his bed and chewing a plastic bag. He was naked. His face and hands were covered with sugar.
”Police officers checked the apartment and concluded that the sugar was his only food.
“After running out of it, the boy started eating the package.”
The exhausted child was taken to hospital where doctors diagnosed him with malnutrition.
Meanwhile, social services inspected the boy’s home and said his living conditions were dangerous for his health and life.
Yulia Nikandrova, the head of the Children’s Protection Service commented: ”The child lived in horrific unsanitary conditions.
”The apartment was infested with cockroaches and contaminated with dirt and filth.
”There was no food. The boy was neglected and covered with bruises.”
The mother came home the next day after he was taken away.
She was interrogated by police and charged with failure to fulfil parental duties.
Social services are reportedly aiming to sue Natalia and deprive her of parental rights.
The mother often left her son unattended and went to drink with friends, neighbours have claimed.
The child will be placed to an orphanage after he is discharged from hospital, according to reports.