A seven-year-old boy who disappeared two months ago has been rescued from the lair of a 26-year-old suspected pedophile who is an infamous figure on the dark web.
The child went missing on September 28 after failing to return home from school in a village east of Moscow.
Russian special forces have now found the boy, apparently unharmed after his long ordeal.
Footage from the dramatic robbery shows security officers cutting through a reinforced metal door, behind which the boy was held.
The bailout came after a tip from Interpol that pointed out that the kidnapping may have been linked to a prominent user of the dark “dark web”.
Police units in different countries have provided information to help locate said user, and hopefully the boy with him.
The Russian authorities used the intelligence to refine their search and eventually identified the suspect as a 26-year-old man from Makarikha, about 185 miles from Moscow.
The boy’s father said his son had been examined by medics and “did well” in an interview with Russia’s Tass news agency.
“He’s healthy and hasn’t lost weight,” he said.
Specialists have also been brought in to help the boy and his family after the traumatic experience.
Interpol Secretary General Jürgen Stock said: “Today, a young boy is back where he belongs – with his family – thanks to dedicated specialist agents and swift action from authorities around the world.
“While we are really happy that this story has a safe ending, there are still many children waiting for rescue.
“Successes like this only renew Interpol’s commitment to connecting its member states to protect children from abusers.”
The dark web, which refers to areas of the Internet inaccessible through search engines and requiring specific software, has long been associated with criminal activities such as human trafficking.