A Center Parcs worker furloughed during the lockdown has tragically died – after spending weeks GAMING.
Louis O’Neill, from Bedfordshire, was furloughed onto the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme back in March.
The seemingly healthy football coach, aged just 24, told his family he would enjoy the time off work.
But his furlough period turned to tragedy when he developed deep vein thrombosis after spending most of the time on his game console.
The 24-year-old’s dad Stanley wrote on social media: “On 3rd June something so awful happened, the worst imaginable thing to happen to such a young man and the worst imaginable thing to happen to a parent. My son, my dear Louis, has gone.
“Not from the evil virus, but because of it. His young life, barely begun still trying to find his feet, just torn away. The devastation .. after seeing my dear boy go like that I am in a living hell.
“This damn lockdown. After being furloughed he took to his gaming world to escape. Caught up in a virtual world he became less active, so easily done.
“Hours fly by when absorbed by the screen. I have done it countless times myself. But no-one I mean no, ever in a million years would have predicted a blood clot. And just like that, it ripped my son away and I died inside along with him.
“24 years old. Who is warning youngsters? Who is warning anyone of any age? No one. So I am . My son will live on, I shall continue to spread this warning in his name.”
Louis hailed from Harlington, Beds, and his death has sparked an outpouring of grief with touching tributes flooding in.
Stanley added: “This terrible thing was preventable had he or we known such risks.
“Like many I associate it with older people and something we are warned about on planes.
“As more and more of us are working from home it is likely you are not getting out of your chair as much as you needs. Stand up, walk around and please warn your kids.
“If I can prevent one loss in my son’s name then that’s one bright light that will shine on Louis. So Stand up for Louis.”
Stanley said: ‘I helped him upstairs. He was approaching his bed, his weight was falling. I caught him and put him on the bed and he passed out.”
Louis’ condition worsened and was found bent over on the stairs on June 3, before tragically dying as emergency services were sent to the scene.