Champion golden retriever burned in kennel blaze – 'I can't see his eyeballs'

A golden retriever which has won competitions across the world suffered catastrophic injuries in a fire.

Owner Harish Mohan had left Santiago in his kennel at home in the city of Chennai, India on Monday night.

Having gone up to his room, his wife and dad smelled smoke and rushed outside to find the kennel in flames.

Mr Mohan posted on Facebook: “I heard both of them scream and ran down to see the most disturbing scene ever…after nearly 25 buckets of water, he (Santiago) stood back up and we rushed him to the hospital.”

He added: “I lost my sister when I was 5 years of age and my saddest memory has been that until today. This is pretty much the same for me and this will keep flashing in my memory forever.

Describing his injuries, Mr Mohan continued: “(Santiago) is at the best animal hospital in my city under constant observation under supervision of a senior vet.

“As of now, the vet cannot promise me anything as it is 60% burns and his kidneys are damaged.

“His cornea is damaged. His face is completely shattered. I can’t see his eyeballs.”

Mr Mohan suspects the fire was caused by a short circuit.

Just last year, Santiago won a dog championship in Canada, the New Indian Express reports.

He also has also taken part in competitions in the US and Canada.

Mr Mohan continued: “I want to promise that I will give it my all and ensure he gets back on his feet again.

“I don’t care about his coat, his face, his skin, nothing… I just want him to breathe for a lot more years to come and I want him to be with me and my family.

“I always said this to my wife…Sant is my first born. I can never ever give up on him no matter what.”

.

Menu