A couple has been left devastated after their beloved horse was killed when a faulty overhead power line came crashing down in the field and electrocuted the cherished ” family member.”
The poor horse died in agony as the current from the power cable surged through her body, leaving a scorched mark on the grass where she died.
Nine-year-old Coco was pronounced dead after Holi Scott, 29, and her partner Harry Stirland, were alerted to the tragedy by the owner of the field, and arrived to find Western Power Distribution at the scene.
Holi said: “It was an extremely emotional day.
“The vet came and pronounced Coco dead and identified massive tissue damage as a result of the electrocution.
“We were advised not to go and see her as the extent of her injuries were absolutely horrendous.
“The field has a public footpath running through it. That cable could have hit us, or anyone else walking in it.”
Holi, who runs a pub in Bristol with Harry, had owned, trained and ridden Coco since she was a two-year-old, and had just got her ready to show.
Coco shared the rented field in north Bristol with the couple’s other horse Billy, who is retired at the aged of 29.
Holi told how she arrived at the field on April 30 to see an agitated Billy running around in terror.
She said: “We got in to the car and the drive over there was one of the hardest journeys we have ever had to make.
“It was was horrible. When we pulled in we could see Billy in the Paddock at the bottom of the field. He was very distressed.
“Coco was a part of our family and she was taken away in an instant. We used to sit and have picnics in the field with her and Billy, literally metres away from where she was killed.
“So not only has this taken away a member of our family, but it has ripped apart the loving memories that we had with her.”
The couple are now locked in a battle with Western Power Distribution over Coco’s compensation value.
Holi added: “We got a series of phone calls on the day from Western Power Distribution and the loss adjuster asking Coco’s age and what she was used for.
“The situation was handled from an extremely unemotional perspective. They were talking about her value as if they were going to sell her – or if she were a car – but Coco was never for sale.
“She was going to be part of the family for as long as she lived. She was priceless to us.
“But she was being valued in the way that you would value a car. And it was then we got an offer from the loss adjuster of £4,500. We want them to acknowledge our emotional connection with Coco.
“Neither of us have ever suffered from any mental illness, but we have certainly been traumatised by everything that has happened.”
Holi has contacted the GP because she has been exhibiting symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder, and is now taking medication for this.
Harry added: “Ultimately, what we want from this is Western Power Distribution to take responsibility for what has happened.
“We want them to ensure the safety of their equipment so that no on else has to go through what we’ve been through.
“We want them to acknowledge the emotional damage this tragic accident has had on us. We want them to put us back in a place where we were before all of this happened.
“They can’t do that emotionally, but eventually when Holi is ready, we want her to be able to buy a new horse and provide that horse with everything they need.”
The couple confirmed that WPD had since been in touch and apologised for appearing to be unsympathetic and are due to meet them in person to discuss the matter.
A spokesman for Western Power Distribution said: “We can confirm there was an incident involving electrical equipment at Hallen in South Gloucestershire, which sadly resulted in the death of a horse.
“Since the incident, we have carried out and completed all appropriate investigations.
“We are now working with the owners to reach a settlement that is acceptable to all parties, following this unfortunate event.”