The Asian powerhouses have been locked in a border stand-off where they are not allowed to fire on each other.
Beijing academic Jin Canrong said the People’s Liberation Army “beautifully” seized the ground by turning the positions into a “microwave oven” instead.
The International relations professor at Renmin University reportedly told students: “We didn’t publicise it because we solved the problem beautifully.
“They [India] didn’t publicise it either because they lost so miserably.”
He said that Chinese troops fired from the bottom of the hills and “turned the mountain tops into a microwave oven”, the Times reported.
“In 15 minutes, those occupying the hilltops all began to vomit,” he said. “They couldn’t stand up, so they fled. This was how we retook the ground.”
The two sides have been locked in a border dispute since April in the Ladakh region.
It saw bloody hand-to-hand combat in the Galwan River valley in June where 20 Indian soldiers and an unknown number of Chinese were killed.
The microwave attack was said to have taken place on August 29 and could be the first use of such weapons against hostile troops.
Microwave weapons focus electro-magnetic pulses at targets to cause irritation and pain by heating up any human tissue in its way.
Mr Jin said in his lecture that India had surprised China by sending in a team of Tibetan soldiers, known for their mountaineering skills, to seize two critical hilltops on the southern bank of the Pangong Tso Lake, in eastern Ladakh on August 29.
“At the time, the western theatre command [of the People’s Liberation Army] was under huge pressure,” the scholar said. “These two hilltops are very important but we’d lost them.
“The central military commission was quite furious: ‘How could you be so careless as to let India seize the hilltops?’ So it ordered the ground be taken back but it also demanded that no single shot be fired.”
Governments have opted not to use them to disperse protesters over fears they can damage eye tissue.
Most people exposed to microwave radiation report significant discomfort but no permanent ill-effects. Some studies, however, suggest that longterm exposure might cause cancers.