Snake wranglers called to deal with a deadly reptile that had taken up residence in an elderly woman’s garden were stunned to discover that it had taken something of a fancy to her garden hose.
The male eastern brown snake “must have been confused,” said the snake catcher, after finding another snake near the long rubber hose and getting the two mixed up.
Writing on Facebook, a representative from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 said: “When we arrived at a call for a big brown snake, Richie straight away spotted a healthy Eastern Brown Snake mating with the garden hose!!!
“At a closer look,” they continued, “we found a darker Eastern Brown Snake next to it, and he must have been confused with the garden hose being right next to them.”
A video shows the snake catcher entering the woman’s garden, before cracking up when he realised what he had found: “He’s mating with the hose,” he says in the video.
“I think there’s a second snake there, but he’s mating with the hose as opposed to the snake … they’re getting confused with the hose and mating with the hose.”
The snake they caught was quite a large example, at a shade over 5 feet long, although some eastern brown snakes have been known to reach 7 feet in length.
It’s a particularly dangerous creature. Responsible for a little over half of Australia’s snake-bite deaths the eastern brown is rated as the second-most venomous snake on Earth.
They’re also very dangerous to dogs and cats, and pets bitten by an eastern brown almost always have to be put down.
You definitely don’t want one hanging out in your garden, although some reptile enthusiasts have been known to keep them as pets.
The 5-foot beast captured by the snake-catchers was taken away and released into the wild, while the smaller one made its escape. Its freedom may be short-lived though: “No doubt we will be back at that property for the other one soon… and not for the hose,” the company posted to Facebook.