Duchess of Sussex suffers another legal blow in privacy case against U.K. tabloid

Article content

Meghan, Duchess Of Sussex suffered another blow as a judge at London’s High Court ruled on Tuesday that newspaper publishers Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL) could amend their case ahead of a trial next year.

The British royal is suing the publisher of the Mail On Sunday and MailOnline over an article which reproduced parts of a “private and confidential” handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

Last week, the defendants applied for permission to amend their case, arguing the couple had cooperated with a biography about them which was published in August featuring the contents of the letter.

While judge Francesca Kaye said she made no view on the strength of the Mail’s case, the amendments could not be said to be “unarguable or utterly fanciful”.

Despite claims she and her husband Prince Harry “co-operated” with the authors of Finding Freedom, Meghan’s lawyers insist accusations the Duke and Duchess “collaborated” on the project were a “conspiracy theory,” arguing that references to the letter in the book were simply “extracts from the letter lifted from the defendant’s own articles”.

Menu