Girl, 1, dies after being rushed to hospital when she choked on her nursery lunch – World News

A toddler has died after being rushed from school to hospital when she choked on her lunch.

The 14-month-old girl underwent emergency surgery to remove a bean that was said to have blocked her throat, before being admitted to intensive care.

The operation had failed to save the life of the youngster, described as being in a “critical” condition ahead of surgery due to a lack of oxygen, a spokeswoman for La Fe Hospital in Valencia said today.

The town of Rocafort near Valencia, Spain where the freak tragedy occurred, has now declared three days of mourning.

Town mayor Guillermo Jose said: “I would like to express mine, the town hall’s and the whole of Rocafort’s most sincere condolences and profound sadness to the family and friends of the little girl that has died.



The nursery school in Rocafort
(Image: SOLARPIX.COM)

“I am also declaring three days of mourning in Rocafort starting from today.

“All the flags on council buildings will be flown at half-mast, with a black ribbon on them.”

The incident occurred around Monday lunchtime at a council-run nursery in Rocafort, a 25-minute drive north of Valencia.

Mr Jose said local police were on the scene within 60 seconds and paramedics minutes later.

They were unable to extract the bean and she was rushed to hospital.

Local reports said she had died in the early hours of Wednesday morning in an intensive care unit after suffering brain damage linked to the lack of oxygen.

Also Check:  Policeman fired after showing off naked photos of sexploitation murder victim

The tot, who hasn’t been named, is said to have just started at the nursery where the tragedy occurred.