A three-year-old girl died tragically, and her one-year-old sister was left in a critical condition after climbing into a hot car while their mother took a nap in their house.
Laykn Petchenik was found unconscious next to her sister Olivia after their mother left the two toddlers in the roaster.
Mom, Kaylee Petchenik had taken an afternoon nap before waking up to realize her daughters were missing.
The 21-year-old called Arkansas state police to report that she was unable to find her children.
The police arrived to discover the poor girls unconscious in the back of the car.
A police source said, “A Booneville police officer who responded to the home found the children, both unconscious, lying on the tailgate of the car.”
Little Laykn was pronounced dead upon arrival at Booneville Hospital, and her body was taken to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory for an autopsy.
The younger sister, Olivia, is currently in critical condition with Little Rock.
“Both are the apparent victims of heat when they were in a car parked in front of their mother’s house in Booneville yesterday,” said state police.
The temperature in Booneville reached over 32C the day Laykn died, which would have been even higher in the car.
It is unclear how the young girls got into the car.
Neighbor Matthew Wood told it 5News how Kaylee had approached him while he was sitting on his porch around 11am looking frantically for her children.
He said the young mother works shifts at night and said she locked her door before taking a nap.
An investigation has begun headed by special agents from the Arkansas State Police Investigation Service.
They will file a file with prosecutors in due course, after which the Logan County Prosecutor will decide whether to bring a suit.
A fundraising page has been set up to cover the costs of Laykn’s funeral. The goal is to raise $ 5,000.
Last week, in a separate incident, it was reported that a young boy was found dead in a car in 35 ° C heat after walking outside and climbing into the vehicle.
The four-year-old child, whose identity has not been revealed, was no longer found in the car on Saturday, July 18, around 6:30 PM.
The alarm went off after the adults living in the house noticed that he was missing and started looking for him.
Emergency services took the child to a hospital, where he was tragically pronounced dead.
On Saturday, temperatures in Wichita Falls, Texas in the US reached about 35 ° C, which would put the temperature in a hot car over 60 ° C if the child was in the car for more than an hour.