A pedophile suspected of kidnapping and murdering Madeleine McCann has his ribs broken during a “cell fight” with guards, it is said.
The fight is said to have broken out after Christian Brueckner, 43, was reportedly filmed by guards covering his cell with yogurt and blocking the toilet.
His lawyer, Friedrich Fulscher, alleges that guards attacked Brueckner with a stick after he refused to have his legs handcuffed before a court hearing in Braunschweig, Germany.
It is alleged that Brueckner, who was first portrayed in public since he was named the prime suspect in the McCann case, threw a “ tantrum ” into his cell near the courthouse, which smeared yogurt and blocked the toilet with toilet paper.
Brueckner appeared in court as part of his appeal against a 21-month sentence for drug trafficking.
His attorney claims he was attacked by guards while being held in a cell prior to the hearing.
Mr. Fulscher told it Sun: “The guards filmed my client through a TV monitor in his cell. I asked them to stop and remove the footage.
“They refused and a fight ensued. This went on and they attacked my client with a stick after he refused to do the prison chain. He sustained serious injuries, two broken ribs.
“Yes, he soiled his cell, but he was understandably angry because he was being filmed.”
Mr. Fulscher said he called in a judge to have the video taken down.
A court source told the newspaper that Brueckner was upset because he was filmed throwing a “tantrum” in his cell, smearing it with yogurt and blocking the toilet with toilet paper.
The source claimed that Brueckner ‘hurt himself’ during an argument when he refused to put on his leg cuffs.
A bailiff told two ambulance personnel that there had been ‘riots’ in the cell, statue reported.
Sources told Bild that Brueckner “resisted” to put the shackles on, which led to a fight between him and the guards.
Mr Fulscher has filed a complaint and a regional court spokeswoman said an investigation is underway.
The police are said to have been called in to resolve the incident.
Photographs show the convicted rapist and pedophile wearing handcuffs and legcuffs as he exits the A&E at a hospital in Braunschweig, about 300 kilometers from Kiel, the town where he is in prison.
Wearing jeans, a green sweater and a face mask due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Brueckner was seen walking in the back of an ambulance accompanied by paramedics and security.
Monday’s hearing was part of Brueckner’s appeal against a 21-month prison sentence for drug trafficking.
Brueckner, who is eligible for parole in early January, returned to court after hospital treatment and his questioning continued. No decision has been made.
He is also serving a seven-year sentence for raping a 72-year-old American woman in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in September 2005.
Brueckner appeals against that sentence.
Madeleine, who was only days away from her fourth, disappeared from her parents’ apartment in the Ocean Club complex about 18 months after that attack.
Brueckner, then 30, was living near Praia da Luz at the time and traveling across the Algarve in a VW camper, researchers said.
German prosecutors allege he was on the phone outside the Ocean Club for 30 minutes around the time Madeleine went missing in May 2007.
He reportedly bragged to friends that he was ‘making thousands’ by breaking into holiday apartments and hotel rooms in the Algarve.
The pedophile, who has been convicted of sexually assaulting girls in Germany, has denied any involvement in Madeleine’s disappearance, his lawyer said.
The British police recently met in Lisbon with German and Portuguese investigators to discuss the investigation.
Prosecutors in Germany are investigating Brueckner, but have admitted they don’t have enough evidence to charge him in McCann’s case.
Recently, the chief prosecutor, Hans Christian Wolters, said that detectives have material evidence that Maddie is dead, but admitted there is no evidence of “smoking weapons.”
Mr Wolters has previously said that German investigators suspect Brueckner of murdering the three-year-old, whose body has never been found despite a £ 12 million probe in several countries.
Investigators suspect that tramp helped Brueckner the night the British girl disappeared, the Portuguese TV show Sexta As 9 claims.
Brueckner’s legal team has claimed it has new evidence that will indemnify him as a suspect in the McCann case.
It’s been nearly six months since Brueckner was publicly identified as the prime suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance. He has not been questioned by investigators.
In June, when Brueckner was mentioned as part of a tip appeal, Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann said, “All we’ve ever wanted is to find her, find out the truth, and bring those responsible to justice.
“We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive, but whatever the outcome, we need to know because we need to find peace.
“We would like to thank the general public for their continued support and encourage anyone who has information directly related to the profession to contact the police.”
A spokesperson for the Find Madeleine campaign said this summer: “I want to thank everyone who continues to hold Madeleine and her family in your heart.
“We still believe in miracles and hope you do too. We are grateful for your love and support.”