Disturbing footage has emerged that shows horrific scenes inside an overcrowded coronavirus hospital in Italy including what appears to a body in a toilet.
The video is taken at Cardarelli Hospital in Naples by Rosario Lamonica who fails to hide his shock as he walks around the packed A&E department.
The body is believed to be a coronavirus patient who had been waiting to be tested in the casualty ward when he collapsed and died.
Mr Lamonica can be heard saying: “This man is dead, this is Cardarelli Hospital. Here we are, the emergency department.”
Focusing his camera one one patient, he says: “This woman in her own p*** and excrement, we don’t know if she’s dead or alive.
“The woman over there, we know nothing.”
The 30-year-old said he shot the footage to show people how bad things are.
He told Italian press agency ANSA: “When I asked for help, nobody listened to me, there were also those who told me ‘mind your own business.”
Mr Lamonica had been in the hospital for two days after he testing positive for coronavirus and developed breathing problems.
He added: “That person (the dead man) was with me in the room, together with other old men.
Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, who comes from the region, said: “The situation in Naples and in many areas of Campania is out of control … the central government needs to intervene because there is no time left.”
Responding to Mr Lamonica’s video, Mr Di Maio wrote on Facebook : “The video of the patient found dead in the bathroom of Cardarelli Hospital is shocking.
“The life and right to health of every single citizen are priorities that must be protected above all else. If the local authorities fail to do so, the State must do it.
“I have kept silent until now out of respect for all institutions but now we must intervene immediately especially in the south, which risks collapsing.”
Health officials said they were investigating the mans death but according to Mr Di Maio this was just the latest shocking incident he had heard about in recent days from Campania.
Using an algorithm based on 21 indicators, Campania was placed in the lowest-risk “yellow zone”.
But now questions have been raised on whether the data was reliable with the Rome health ministry appointing investigators to review the situation.
Italy recorded another 636 deaths on Thursday and 37,978 new cases.
The nation has clocked up 43,589 deaths making it the sixth worst hit country in the world.
Italy was the first European country to be hit hard by Covid-19 cases which currently stands at 1,066,401 – half of those infections emerged in the last 19 days.
Hospitals across the country have reportedly been struggling to cope but the poorer south has appeared been hit worse.
On the island of Sicily, further South, the mayor of Palermo warned on Monday his region faced an “inevitable massacre” as infections surge there.
Carlo Palermo, head of the ANAAO-ASSOMED doctors’ union, told Reuters: “The north has always had a well-equipped health system spread out across the territory.
“The situation there might not be optimal, but the south by comparison is a wasteland.”
In Naples, footage shows patients being treated in cars with medics giving them oxygen and placing them on drips as they wait to be admitted to hospital.