An elderly Australian man got the fright of his life when some enormous snakes fell from his ceiling.
David Tait returned to his home in North Brisbane to discover his home wrecked after the ceiling in his dining room collapsed under the weight of the legless creatures.
They had been hiding inside his roof for an unknown period of time.
“I’d been away for the night and came home and found most of the dining room ceiling down on the dining room table,” the retiree told media.
“I looked around to see what had caused it and found two very large snakes inside the house.”
Snake catcher Steven Brown was called to the house and turned up thinking the animals must have slithered in through an open door.
He was surprised to find they had been all the way up in the roof.
It’s currently breeding season for snakes in Australia, and Mr Brown believes two males were fighting over a female when the roof collapsed under their weight.
The two male snakes were located about a kilometre away from the house, but they are yet to find the female — sparking fears she could be lurking nearby.
They were identified as carpet snakes, a large member of the python family.
Brown said the males were “some of the biggest and fattest” he’d ever seen, measuring 2.8m and 2.5m respectively. They reportedly weighed a hefty 22kg between them.
Mr Tait said he had seen snakes around the outside of his house previously, but never of that size.
Australia is home to hundreds of different species of snake, ranging in size and venom.
Twenty-seven of those species are found in Brisbane, where Mr Tait’s home is located.
Warmer weather during the coming spring means people are being warned to look out for snakes as they emerge from brumation — their version of hibernation in which they are less active over winter.
It’s likely that more snakes will be seen as Australians remain at home for the coronavirus lockdown, similar to how Brits reported seeing more rats than normal this summer.
Anyone who runs into a snake is advised to keep their distance, and to seek urgent medical assistance if bitten.