Cooling down a dog in the blistering heat is a headache for owners with the soaring temperatures even more uncomfortable for the family pet.
Now, the owners of canine social media sensation Hungarian Vizsla Deru, who has thousands of Facebook friends, have revealed a recipe for a dog treat that rewards good behaviour and has cooling health benefits for any hot and bothered pooch.
The pet’s Facebook page The Life of Deru has followers from all over the world.
Natural pet food specialist True Instinct has joined forces with Deru to share a frozen treat that is ideal for dogs needing to chill down.
This is how to make Deru’s favourite Natural Blueberry and Banana Freeze:
- 2 bananas
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 tbsp of honey
- True Instinct Meat Bites or Raw Boost
- You will need an ice cube tray (we used a paw print silicone mould)
- Blend bananas together to a mushy consistency.
- Add blueberries to mixture and blend a little. The consistency can be as smooth or lumpy as you like.
- Add honey and mix.
- Place mixture into freeze moulds.
- Top with your dog’s favourite natural treat such as True Instinct treats or raw boost.
Melanie Sainsbury, veterinary education manager at True Instinct, said: “With thick coats which make it harder for dogs to regulate their own body temperature, it’s important to ensure we’re looking after our pets in the warmer weather.
“Frozen treats, made with natural ingredients, can be a great option for pet parents to consider, providing a nutritious and cooling fix.
“Ice cubes can also be placed in water bowls to help keep their water cool and refreshing.
“Try to have clean water bowls in multiple locations so they are within easy reach of your pet.”