‘If we had gone back to bed she would have been dead in the morning’ Mum ignored doctor’s advice and saved her from a deadly infection

A mum told by a doctor to treat her sick newborn with calpol ignored his advice and saved her from a deadly infection – which would have killed her an HOUR later.

Victoria Auton, 35, couldn’t ignore the gut feeling something was wrong with her little girl, despite being told by her GP that ‘there was nothing to worry about’.

The mum of two, from Hartlepool, noticed Lexie had a high temperature and was a pale colour and rushed her into A&E just in time.

Lexie was immediately given oxygen and later diagnosed with Group B Streptococcus meningitis (GBS), a deadly infection passed down during pregnancy.

Victoria’s gut reaction saved the life of her young baby, who is now healthy and thriving at home.

Victoria, an office manager and photographer, said: “The doctor’s told me she had been an hour away from death,

“If we had gone back to bed she would have been dead in the morning.”



Lexie as she is now

After previously struggling to conceive naturally, and having their first baby by IVF, Lexie was a ‘dream baby’ for Victoria and Robbie, 40 and was born at a healthy 7lbs 1oz on February 15.

But just three weeks later, Victoria started to notice signs that something wasn’t right when Lexie had a high temperature.

“I took her to the doctor but he told me it was just a viral infection and told me to give her some Calpol,” Victoria said.

Still anxious Victoria stayed up all night with husband Robbie, a corrugator manager, to check on Lexie during the night.

“I went down at half 3 and gave her a cuddle,” Victoria said.

“She looked worse, she had gone a pale colour and was still really hot.”

”I woke Robbie up and we rushed to North Tees Hospital.

“We arrived and then suddenly ten people rushed into the room we were in and put an oxygen mask on Lexie.

“I was crying my eyes out.”



Victoria Auton with her family

At first the doctors didn’t know what was wrong with Victoria’s baby but they later diagnosed her with Group B Streptococcus meningitis.

Victoria said: “I was devastated my world came crashing down.”

Lexie had very high levels of infection and started having seizures.

“Suddenly her hand started tapping, and I immediately pushed the alert button,” Victoria said.

”The doctors rushed in again and watched as Lexie had a seizure but didn’t do anything.

“They told me they couldn’t do anything but watch her.

“I was screaming ‘do something’ but they couldn’t.”



Baby Lexie

Lexie had two more seizures and had to be moved to the Royal Victoria Infirmity, in Newcastle, for an MRI and a potential operation on her brain as her condition was worsening.

Lexie spent five weeks in North Tees Hospital, Stockton-on-Tees, while her infection levels dropped.

In the end, Lexie didn’t need brain surgery but the family were told she had brain damage because of the oxygen levels.

Victoria said: “They told me she may never be able to move her arms properly, talk, smile of even look at me,

“But they didn’t know how badly she would be affected and there was nothing I could do but wait and see.”

Determined Lexie wouldn’t suffer, Victoria scoured the internet to find early intervention treatment and signed up for therapy and physio.

She said: “We started to spot signs of brain damage a soon as we got home

“She wouldn’t move her arm properly or would roll around funny.”

Following months of physio and a technique called neuroplasticity, a process of repair and rewiring the brain, Lexie, now seven months old, has made massive improvements and is a ‘miracle’ according to her doctors and mum.

“You wouldn’t know anything had happened to her, if anything she is advanced for her age,” Victoria said.

“She’s crawling around, sitting up and flicking through pages in her book and even trying to stand up.

“It’s unreal for her age.

“It’s amazing, she’s a miracle.”