Iran has issued an arrest warrant for Donald Trump over the killing of top general Qassem Soleimani.
Tehran prosecutor Ali Alqasimehr said the US President and more than 30 others face “murder and terrorism charges” for the January 3 air strike at Baghdad International Airport, according to the ISNA news agency.
Iran has asked Interpol for help and requested a “red notice”, the highest level that can be issued.
After receiving a request, Interpol will discuss whether to share the information with its 194 member countries.
However, its guidelines forbid it from “undertaking any intervention or activities of a political” nature.
Daily Star Online has approached the International Criminal Police Organisation for comment.
Soleimani, who led Iran’s elite Quds Force, was obliterated in a US air strike on January 3.
His recruits operated as a combination of spies and special forces, and are long suspected of being behind actions to destabilise the Middle East.
Many considered Soleimani one of the most powerful men in Iran – seen by some as second only to the Ayatollah.
UK officials described him as more powerful than former al-Qaeda boss Osama bin Laden and ex-ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi – both of whom were also killed by US forces.
Trump said the 62-year-old had been “planning a big attack” before his death.
He told reporters: “He was a monster. And he’s no longer a monster. He’s dead.”
Trump claimed Soleimani had been “travelling with the head of Hezbollah” and a “lot of lives had been saved by killing him”.
Iran retaliated with ballistic missile strikes that targeted US troops in Iraq.
Although the attack did not result in fatalities, dozens of personnel suffered from brain trauma.
Under Trump’s presidency, the US has been pushing for an extension of a United Nations arms embargo against Iran, which has restricted the country’s nuclear weapons capability in return for sanctions relief.
The embargo is due to expire in October under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, brokered by former US President Barack Obama.
However, Trump withdrew from the agreement in 2018 and imposed tough sanctions on Iranian oil exports.
Last month, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Trump made a “stupid mistake” in pulling out of the landmark deal.
In a threatening speech, he demanded compensation for economic damage caused by the arms embargo and vowed to retaliate if it was not lifted.
Rouhani raged: “If America wants to return to the deal, it should lift all the sanctions on Tehran and compensate for the reimposition of sanctions.
“Iran’s nuclear steps are reversible if other parties to the deal fulfil their obligations and preserve Tehran’s interests under the pact.
“Iran will give a crushing response if the arms embargo on Tehran is extended.”