Jeremy Kyle 'may have caused or contributed' to man's death says coroner

TV host Jeremy Kyle “may have caused or contributed to” the death of program guest Steve Dymond, who is believed to have committed suicide after failing a lie detector test on the show, a pre-investigation has revealed.

The preliminary hearing is being held on the death of the 63-year-old, who died of a morphine overdose and a heart problem at his home in Portsmouth, Hampshire, seven days after filming The Jeremy Kyle Show last year.

He took a lie detector test on the program to reveal if he cheated on his ex-fiancé Jane Callaghan from Gosport.

Coroner Jason Pegg said he has made Mr. Kyle an “interested party” in the inquest, stating that the presenter is someone “who may have caused or contributed to Stephen Dymond’s death.”

He added, “It might seem ridiculous not to have Mr. Kyle testify to give his opinion on the situation.”

Mr. Dymond’s family counsel, Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC, told the Winchester hearing that Mr. Dymond became “upset” after failing the lie detector test.

She said Mr. Dymond went to the show to “prove his loyalty” and said, “I pushed and pushed but it all went wrong.”

Ms. Gallagher said that after the result was announced during filming, the audience was “booed and booed” at him and that he was called “a failure by the presenter”.

She said Mr. Kyle was “in his face” and even when he was “on the brink of collapse, he was still being harassed”.

She said Mr. Dymond wanted to go out through a side door, but found it locked, and added, “He couldn’t escape the hassle. He was on his hands and knees thinking he was going to pass out from the stress. “

Ms. Gallagher said his state of mind was known to the show’s crew, with a message from a WhatsApp group saying, “Just to be sure, he’s still crying, he just said he wished he were dead. you’re just the heads up. “

Ms. Gallagher added, “While he was still on the program, within minutes he was talking about his wish that he were dead.”

She said Mr. Dymond called his brother when he was taken home by taxi from the show.

In a statement read at the hearing, Leslie Dymond said, “He seemed completely broken and scared and told me he couldn’t live on.”

The hearing was told that Mr. Dymond had originally been turned down to appear on the show, but was accepted as a guest after receiving a letter from his doctor.

The inquest learned that he had received mental health care from the Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.

Mr. Dymond’s death in May 2019 was caused by an overdose of morphine and left ventricular hypertrophy, in which the left ventricle of the heart is not pumping properly, the study found.

The hearing continues.