Man, 28, becomes first sumo wrestler in the world to die from coronavirus
World News

Man, 28, becomes first sumo wrestler in the world to die from coronavirus

A 28-year-old sumo wrestler infected with the new coronavirus has died, becoming the first sumo wrestler to die of the deadly virus.

The wrestler Shobushi, whose real name is Kiyotaka Suetake, was hospitalized last month and died in a hospital in Tokyo on Wednesday due to multiple organ failure related to the corona virus, Japanese public broadcaster NHK said.

Shobushi made his professional debut in 2007 from the Takadagawa stable and his best career position was number 11 in the sandanme division, the fourth highest division.

In April, the JSA announced that five wrestlers in the Takadagawa stable had tested positive for the virus. It is not clear whether the other wrestlers have fully recovered.

Last week, the JSA announced that the Summer Grand Sumo tournament, scheduled for May 24-June 7 at Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, has been canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.



Osaka’s Spring Grand Sumo tournament in March was held behind closed doors, but the JSA decided this was not possible for the May tournament after Japan extended its nationwide emergency to at least the end of the month.

Wrestler Shobushi first developed a fever, but then none of his stablemates or officials complained of symptoms Kyodo News.

“It made me realize that there are infections around us. I hope from the bottom of my heart that (wrestler’s) condition is not getting serious,” sumo elder Shibatayama, the association’s communications director, told the socket.



Japan currently has 16,049 confirmed cases of Covid-19, with 678 deaths.

On Tuesday, the country raised its travel alert for 13 countries to the second-highest level, in an effort to address rising coronavirus infections

In March, Ken Shimura became the first Japanese celebrity to die of the 70-year-old corona virus Mirror online.

The funny man died of pneumonia caused by Covid-19, according to his agents who announced the sad news.

A representative of the star said, “I don’t think he imagined he would die like that.

“I’m sure he worked hard with a sense of mission to make people smile.”

The nation also confirmed new cases of coronavirus on a cruise ship among crew members last month.

Princess Cruises’ Diamond Princess was quarantined after arriving in Japan on February 3 with 3,711 passengers and crew on board.

More than 700 people on board became infected on the ship, including a nurse to express.

The Diamond Princess was just one of 25 cruise ships to confirm COVID-19 cases, including the Grand Princess.

Nearly 60 new coronavirus cases were confirmed among crew members in Nagasaki.

.

mm
Pat Reaves
Pat Reaves writes for our World News section. Having spent his youth traveling from one country to another, Pat has incurred an education that is truly international in culture, academia, and language. His quick thinking and spontaneity has landed him in the sector where stories happen without any warning. He is an extremely patient and nurturing writer who lets a story take its course without interference and prejudice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *