Man attacked dad-of-5 with machete after thinking he stole £12k from crack den

A man has been in prison for three years for attacking a father of five with a machete after accusing him of stealing £ 12,000 from a crack hole.

22-year-old Shae Reffel suspected that Wayne Agius, 33, had stolen the money and lured him to the house in the Ely district of Cardiff, where he was repeatedly hit with the blunt side of a machete.

The incident happened on December 9 last year because Reffel suspected Agius had stolen the money the day before when he went home to buy cannabis, the court heard.

Reffel demanded that Mr. Agius hand over the money and he was then slapped face to face six or seven times with the blunt side of a 3ft machete, leaving multiple fractures in his face.

He was tried at Cardiff Crown Court, in one of the first lawsuits in England and Wales to start during the coronavirus lock.

Reffel, of Illtyd Road, Ely, Cardiff, was found guilty of causing serious bodily harm, but was acquitted of the more serious charge of deliberately causing serious bodily harm.

He was also acquitted of the possession of an imitation firearm with the intention of causing fear of violence.

Prior to the conviction, the court heard that Mr. Agius and his family had been forced to leave the Ely area because of the impact of the attack on them.

In a statement on the impact of a victim, Mr. Agius said that he had been left with severe headaches and pain and that he needed further surgery on his facial damage.

“It has ruined my quality of life and I feel unhappy day by day. We had to leave Cardiff and get all our children out of school,” he said.

“I think it will take years for the family to recover and feel normal again.

“I feel like a stranger where we live now.”

In defense, Alexander Greenwood said defensively, “He is a relatively young man with no convictions for violence, very little for drugs and nothing for selling drugs.”

Ms. Justice McGowan said in her verdict, “I have no doubt that you lured Wayne Agius to that house that day, no doubt with others on your side of the battle, as well as others you suspected somehow had done wrong.

“He was called there to be punished or to be afraid to say what he had or had not done and, more importantly, to find out where the money he might have taken had gone.”

She added, “This attack has clearly had a profound impact on him and his family.

“They’ve had to leave the area, get their kids out of school, and leave a house that has been in their family for years.”