Man suffered allergic reaction after dying beard when he was bored

A man dyed his beard black because he was “bored” – but suffered a huge allergic reaction leaving him in agony with chemical burns.

Marno Botha, 21, and his girlfriend Caitlynn Van Hecke, 21, thought it would be fun to change the colour of his beard from blonde to black.

Unfortunately for Marno, he suffered a severe allergic reaction to the hair dye as well as a chemical burn, turning his face bright red everywhere the product had been applied.

His chin, cheeks and upper lip became extremely swollen and Marno had to take antihistamines for an entire month before his face returned to normal.

Marno Botha with the dye on his beard

Marno said: “We dyed my beard in the afternoon and I woke up at like 3am with this intense itching on my face so I decided to shave my beard.

“I noticed my face had extremely red marks where the hair dye had been applied to my beard and then it started to swell up.

“I could barely move my face and the itching got worse so I went to the doctor who said I’d had an allergic reaction to the hair dye.

“I’d also suffered a chemical burn from leaving the hair dye on my face for too long.”

Marno’s girlfriend Caitlynn suggested the makeover.

He’d previously had an allergic reaction to henna dye but had forgotten all about it when the couple put the hair dye on his face at Caitlynn’s home on May 16.

Man suffered allergic reaction after dying beard when he was bored

Marno Botha (right) and his girlfriend Caitlynn Van Hecke

Marno said: “We just thought it would be fun and I could always shave the beard off – little did we know this would happen!

“Caitlynn felt really bad about how it all turned out and took extra good care of me.

“It took almost two months for my face to get back to normal – luckily we had to wear masks everywhere so that helped a lot!

“My face was sensitive for weeks and the intense itchiness drove me crazy. I was embarrassed to go out in public but I tried to look at the funny side of it!”

.