Man taken to hospital after swallowing Covid-19 testing stick

A man ended up in hospital after swallowing a whole Covid-19 testing swab stick.

The sticks, which are six-inches long and made of a combination of plastics and other materials, are inserted into the back of the throat to take a sample which is then tested for the presence of coronavirus particles.

But the man accidentally swallowed the whole stick and had to go to Hull Royal Infirmary, reports HullLive.

The hospital has declined to reveal whether the man was testing himself – using a home kit whiuich is provided to some people when they need to test after showing symptoms – or whether he was visiting a drive-through testing facility at the time of the accident.

The incident is not the first reported case of a swab being swallowed.

In the USA a man had to swallow part of a stick after it snapped off during a test.

Orlando Skidmore said: “She stuck it in my left nostril and she was counting to ten and somewhere between six and eight I heard it snap, but I thought it was something the device is supposed to be doing, and then she pulled out the stem and the rest of it didn’t come out.

After visiting a local hospital, nursing staff said they believed he had swallowed it.

“Hopefully through biological processes it will come loose,”Mr Skidmore said.

Mr Skidmore said he didn’t want his experience to discourage anyone from getting tested and described it as a freak accident.

According to an article in the British Medical Journal most swallowed objects do no harm unless they create an obstruction or cause a chemical burn.

.