A mother of five who had just saved her children from a fire in their home died when the blazing ceiling collapsed on top of her.
Gulnara Kostelnyuk had managed to get her children, all under 14 years old, out of the fire-stricken area and save their lives.
The fire started late Wednesday evening when family members slept in their beds in the city of Yakutsk, Russia.
Firefighters say the flame in the kitchen started with a heating stove and quickly ripped through the wooden house.
The property was engulfed in flames and filled with thick smoke when Gulnara’s oldest son, 14, woke up and sounded the alarm.
After realizing they were trapped in a burning room, 31-year-old Gulnara rushed to a window and broke the glass.
She helped her eldest son climb out the window and gave him his four younger siblings.
After evacuating her children, Gulnara was about to escape, but was killed when a wooden beam fell on her from the blazing ceiling.
Her body was found by a crew of firefighters who arrived at the scene after a call from neighbors.
One of the children, a nine-year-old girl, was admitted to intensive care with burns and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The others, including two boys aged six and one, and a four-year-old girl, received numerous cuts to their faces and limbs.
Experts say that a malfunction in the stove can cause the fire.
They are now studying the scene to find out the exact cause of the incident.
Gulnara’s husband Aleksey Kostelnyuk was at work when the fire broke out.
The husband, devastated by the death of his wife, told the local media, “My wife had taken care of our children. I don’t know how we’ll do without her. ”
Anastasia, the victim’s older sister, said, “My mom called me around 4am. Said Gulnara was gone.
“We told the younger children that she is in a hospital. We don’t want to traumatize them.
The older boy is still in shock. His mother died before his eyes.
“He doesn’t speak and does everything automatically.
Next week he will see a psychologist. ”