Pensioner blows up part of his house while trying to swat a fly

A pensioner blew up part of his house while trying to swat a fly that was irritating him as he was eating dinner.

The 80-year-old was trying to kill the fly with an electric bug zapper but it ended in disaster as part of his kitchen was blown up.

The man didn’t know that gas was leaking into his property and as he waved the bug zapper, shaped like a tennis racket, he ignited the gas.

As well as the kitchen, part of the roof was destroyed in the incident.

The man dived onto the floor and managed to escape serious injury.

He was treated in hospital after the incident in Parcoul-Chenaud, north east of Bordeaux, France.

A source told the Metro: “On this occasion, gas was leaking into the man’s house.

“The very hot zapper ignited the gas, causing a sudden explosion.

“The man was lucky to get away with a burned hand after diving on the floor, but the kitchen was destroyed along with part of the roof.”

Repairs are being carried out on the man’s property and he is staying in a campsite in the meantime.