Scotland Yard has no plans to end the missing persons investigation of Madeleine McCann, despite the conviction of German prosecutors that she was murdered.
Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said the force is “very, very closely” working with the German authorities, but did not expect them to share all of their evidence.
Prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters, who is leading the McCann investigation in Germany, has previously said he has “concrete evidence”, Christian Brueckner, 43, murdered her.
Investigators believe convicted child sex tourist Brueckner murdered Madeleine, then three, after kidnapping her from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in May 2007.
Brueckner – named Christian B in Germany because of the country’s strict privacy laws – was identified as a suspect in June, but prosecutors don’t have enough evidence to charge him.
At the time, the Met said its active investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance, Operation Grange, is a missing persons investigation as there is no “definitive proof whether Madeleine is alive or dead.”
Dame Cressida told reporters on Thursday that the nature of the investigation has not changed.
She said: “We continue to work very closely with our colleagues from the BKA (German Federal Investigation Service) in Germany, as you know, and the PJ (Polícia Judiciaria) in Portugal.
“We still have our small team working on that and there has been no significant change for us in terms of our resources or attitude.
“As you know, we have some money to keep that going and we’re going to continue.
“We will continue until the moment is right, either because much more light has been shed on it and, or because someone has been brought to court. Or, if we think we have exhausted all possible opportunities.
“We are not one of those stages at the moment, and the team is moving on.”
Asked if the German authorities had shared everything with the Met, she added: “So we are working very closely with the German authorities. I wouldn’t necessarily expect every piece of material to be shared with us. I’m sure they will share the relevant things with us at the relevant times.
“We work very, very closely with them.”
Brueckner is currently serving a jail term for drug trafficking and is expected to remain behind bars until 2026 after losing an attempted quash of a rape conviction.
Last year, he was found guilty of the 2005 rape of a 72-year-old American woman in the same Portuguese resort from which Madeleine disappeared and sentenced to seven years in prison in a court in Brunswick, Lower Saxony.