Seven die after drinking methanol hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Seven people have died and two others are in a coma after drinking hand sanitizer at a party when the alcohol ran out.

The group of nine drank the antiseptic hand soap at a party in the village of Tomtor in Russia’s Yakutia region on Thursday.

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, while six others were flown by medical evacuation plane to the regional capital Yakutsk.

On Friday three more men aged 28, 32 and 69 had died.

Another death has been reported today, although their age and gender have not yet been released, while the other two remain in intensive care.



Federal public health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor reported, “Nine cases of disinfectant poisoning have been recorded, including seven that were fatal.”

The regional prosecutor said, “The poisoning occurred as a result of drinking disinfectant.”

Partygoers drank the disinfectant, which was 69 percent methanol.



Seven die after drinking methanol hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

It had been sold as a hand cleaner during the pandemic.

Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

A criminal case has been opened.

.