Seven people dead after drinking hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Seven people have died of poisoning after starting to drink hand sanitizer when they ran out of liquor at a party.

Local reports from Russia claim that nine people felt seriously unwell after drinking locally made hand sanitizer on Thursday evening.

The germ-fighting liquid was 69 percent methanol, a highly toxic substance that, if swallowed, can cause blindness, vomiting, and death.

Federal public health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor reported, “Nine cases of disinfectant poisoning have been recorded, including seven that were fatal.”

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59 who died in the house in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country’s largest region, Yakutia.



Six others were flown by medical evacuation plane to the regional capital Yakutsk.

Three more men, aged 28, 32 and 69, died on Friday, and another death has been reported today.

According to reports, two are still in a coma in an intensive care unit.



Seven people dead after drinking hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Yakutsk is located 450 kilometers south of the Arctic Circle in Eastern Siberia and is officially the coldest city on Earth.

The remote city is built entirely on permafrost, and to keep the buildings from melting the ice underneath, they are usually built on pylons or piles.



Seven people dead after drinking hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Temperatures can drop to -35 / -36 degrees in December and January, and it is currently a chilling -21.

Pictures taken of the house where the party took place indicate the extreme cold, with the front of the property wrapped in a thick blanket of snow.

.