Teen left with horrific burns after McDonald's coffee lid 'pops off'

A teenager was left with horror burns after the lid of her McDonald’s coffee popped off, spilling the scalding hot drink on her hands.

Aareta Mohi, 18, ordered the mocha at a drive-through in Palmerston North, New Zealand and declined a cup holder.

Shocking pictures show the huge blisters and scars she suffered.

She rushed into the restaurant’s bathroom to pour cold water all over her hands.

Aareta was given a replacement coffee and a napkin, but her family claim McDonald’s did not offer any first aid – and brushed off complaints.



Her dad Rhys Mohi told Stuff : “They made it quite clear that it is not their problem.”

He has demanded a formal apology, saying the incident has put “undue stress” on his daughter.

McDonald’s said it is investigating, as staff weren’t alerted to the problem when it happened.

A spokesman said: “The restaurant believes the CCTV shows the lid being removed from the cup by the customer, before it was spilled.”

The chain would not say if any of its staff were at fault.

.