Dozens of shoppers helped untie a little girl’s fingers that became trapped in the floor of a moving escalator.
A video shows extraordinary images of how they jumped the moving staircase in a shopping center in the Russian resort of Sochi to stop the escalator and move it backwards to release her.
The frightened two-year-old girl had run away from her mother, then slipped on an upward-moving escalator.
Her fingers got caught in the moving floor.
Shoppers responded very quickly by hopping on the stairs, triggering it to stop moving, reports say.
Their actions also left her fingers free, even though they were later criticized by MoreMall staff for taking matters into their own hands – and being too “ emotional ” in their response.
A spokesperson for the mall claimed security had shut down the escalator.
“Technicians arrived at the site a few minutes later, but it was then that caring visitors to the mall, succumbing to emotions, organized independent actions to free the child’s fingers,” said a spokesman.
“Safety experts point out that such spontaneous, emotional actions can lead to the risk of serious injury, not only to the child, but also to the visitors themselves.
“It is a good thing that this incident only ended with fear and scratches on the little child’s fingers.
“We want parents to pay more attention to such small children and not leave them unattended for even a minute.”
Regional prosecutors are investigating security measures at the mall.
A security guard told 360TV that the girl’s mother was in shock.
“She felt guilty and even refused hospitalization for the girl,” he said.
“But the head of the service and the visitors insisted that she go to the ambulance.”