Tourist dies after being hit by two cars on motorway in Tenerife

An Irish holidaymaker has died after being hit by two vehicles on a highway in Tenerife.

The 36-year-old was killed on TF-1, near an area known as Torviscas Bajo in the south of the island, just before 4:30 a.m. at Monay.

It is clear that the man was hit after he entered the highway, which runs from the capital of Santa Cruz Island in the north to the main tourist resorts of Los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas in the south.

Emergency workers could do nothing to save the tourist, who was not named, and he was pronounced dead on the spot.

The drivers of the two cars allegedly involved in the incident, a Citroen C3 and a BMW, have already been questioned.

Were you affected by the incident? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk.



Local reports said they had received medical attention for panic attacks.

An investigation led by the Guardia Civil continued on Tuesday.

It was not immediately clear if an autopsy had already taken place, as post-mortem exams are now routinely delayed so that Covid-19 testing can take place first.

The autopsy should reveal whether the dead man had been drinking or taking drugs before landing on the highway and being run over.

A spokesperson for a regional emergency coordination center said: “A man died after being run over in Tenerife.

“Monday around 4.25 am the alarm was raised.

“The incident took place on the TF-1 in the municipality of Adele, on the section of the highway towards the capital, Santa Cruz.

“Medical workers confirmed the death on the spot.”

.