Woman watching pigs on livestream horrified when she sees barn erupt into flames

Distressing footage shows a pregnant pig trying to escape her pen when a heat lamp sets her bedding on fire.

The livestream video was being watched by Laura Palladino when the pigpen burst into flames – she immediately called the fire brigade but the operator didn’t appear to understand what she was talking about.

“He was like, ‘What? You’re watching a YouTube video?'” she told WKBN.

In the clip, the pregnant sow, called Ethel, is relaxing in her bed of straw at June Farms in New York when a bright flicker appears and grows behind her as the fire takes hold.



The fire was triggered by a heat lamp falling over
The fire was triggered by a heat lamp falling over
(Image: June Farms)

Feeling the heat on her rear end, the pig jumps to her feet and paces around the enclosure as if trying to figure a way out.

The fire gets larger and the pig appears to try to dig in the dirt in an effort to escape.

Luckily, moments later, two farm workers burst in and douse the flames with water – saving her bacon in the nick of time.

One of the men then pats her ears reassuringly, while the last of smoke peters away.



The pig was resting when a fire broke out behind her
The pig was resting when a fire broke out behind her
(Image: June Farms)

Laura had managed to get in touch with farm owner Matt Baumgartner and he, along with worker Joshua Vics, rushed in to rescue the pregnant sows.

“I never thought that when we saw these pigs that I would technically end up saving their life,” Laura told WKBN.

Also Check:  Tiger brutally rips apart and kills three before being shot with tranquilliser

The webcam was only installed the day before, so the expecting pigs had a narrow escape.

Joshua told WKBN: “My mind immediately went to the worst.

“My heart dropped into my stomach.

“I don’t like to think about how bad it could have been if she [Laura] didn’t say something.”

June Farms has a Youtube channel and an Instagram account where people can watch for updates on pigs and newborn piglets.

Commenting on the video on YouTube, they wrote: “This has been a difficult lesson to learn about the dangers of heat lamps, and how quickly and easily they can cause a fire.

“We consider ourselves so incredibly fortunate that the pigs are safe.

“Currently, our pigs Lucy and Ethel are doing very well, happy and healthy in their farrowing pens as we eagerly await their first litter of piglets!”